March 4, 2009

Be Still

Sunday, I got to speak to Senior Highers in Canton, Ohio, about spiritual disciplines.
I gave a brief, and I mean real brief, description of what and why we have spiritual discplines.  

After that, I gave a short talk on silence, meditation and prayer, and how they are imperative in our walk with Christ.  They then had a chance to take some time and sit, pray, meditate, write or draw in some silence.  It is probably one of the hardest things I have done because I was given so little time to do it.

I had to give the same talk twice, and God taught me something very valuable during the silence of the first one.

I was using the ever famous scripture of Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God".  I was taking the time to do some meditating myself and noticed that as I was thinking about the verse, that I was not actualy being still.  Now, what I mean is that I learned that to be still was not infact the act or physical position of not moving, but a "being still" of the soul.  For some, it may very well mean that they have to sit in the same place and not move so they can concentrate, but for others it is different.  The cool thing is that God has made us each individuals and that He relates to us the way that He has created us.

I challenge you to take some time today and meditate, or think and let God direct your thoughts on what it means to "Be still, and know that I am God".

That is all He wants me to say.
Scott

No comments: