November 5, 2008

Death and LIFE


Death has been something that has been all around me for the last week. It all started with the passing of Julie Biddle's (my brother Sean's wife) grandfather 2 Sundays ago. Mom, Dad and I drove to Erie, PA for his funeral last Wednesday. It was a long day of traveling from Columbus in the morning and coming right back after the service, but it was worth it to support Julie and Sean in their loss. God has given me the time and energy that I can do those kinds of things.

On our way back, we were going to stop and see my brother Dusty at Malone University when my mom got a call from Aunt Pam that Grandpa Deming was not doing so well. We skipped the drop-in at Malone, and drove straight home. We got there and spent some time at Grandma and Grandpa's house on Wednesday evening, and he went to be with Jesus on Thursday morning. He had been in and out of the hospital for the last few months and been in hospice care for the past month at home.

Death is a funny thing. As a Christ follower, I know that Grandpa has run the race and captured the prize. He is able to breathe now, better than he has for a while, and yet there is a hurt and a grieving that takes place here for those of us that have to go on without him.

There are things that my grandma is going to have to learn to do for the first time after 58 years of marriage, because they are things that grandpa had always taken care of.

There is a sense of relief, because there is no more suffering, but a sense of loss, for the whole that is left in our lives that he filled.

There are things that I do now, that were in direct relation to Grandpa, and one of them is definitely using a toothpick. He always had a toothpick in his mouth, or was looking for the next one. That is something that has already been passed on to my 2 kids, they both love toothpicks.

God,
Thank you for giving us a chance to be loved and taught by a Grandpa for 82 years.
The memories are endless.

And that is all I have to say about that... for now.
Scott

No comments: