January 22, 2008

An Email

About an hour ago I received an email from a friend of mine telling me that he was leaving our church. I am not sure how to explain how I feel. It is like someone has taken a piece of me. I am feeling empty and hollow inside. I am having problems focusing and thinking because all I can concentrate on is the pain I feel. I fell blind-sided. I had no idea that this was coming.

Why is it that we hurt when someone close to us leaves? Why does it feel so hollow? I can look back over the years of ministry that I have been involved in and this is the closest person, of my recollection right now, that has left the church. God has called his church the Body of Christ.

Romans 12:4-8
4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

We fit together, our gifts, talents, goals and visions. And when that part of the body is ripped from us, especially without what we would consider an explanation, there is only pain and hurt left from the “tearing and ripping” off of that body part. Whether it be an arm, leg or even a lung.

There is an emptiness and a confusion of what happened and why? I think that, in some cases, there is also a hurt for the person that left. I just wonder what is going through my friend’s head. How is he hurting right now? What can I do to help with that pain.

There have been times that I have sat back and waited to see what was going to happen with things. This is not one of those times. I will be going over to my friend’s house tonight to talk with him. I am willing to put myself out on the line and fight for this relationship. I want to let God use me.

So, my friend, if you are reading this, I will be over this evening. I am not going to let you go easily. I want to hear your thoughts, your ponderings, and what God has been speaking to you about. I will fight for you. You mean that much to me, and others. You are part of my family. And I don’t just let family go.

No comments: